Friday, September 24, 2010

Our new homeschooling adventure!

(( This little munchkin melts my heart!))


We are homeschooling! I am so excited! I have dreamed about this for so many years!

One of the things I have been trying to become recently is an expert storyteller for my children. I want to captivate them and plant in their hearts a deep love for stories and reading. Every day I try to pick a story to share with them either by heart with hand motions or that I will tell with stuffed animals or sing - something special and captivating...  Today we read the Saggy Baggy Elephant and I was blessed to find the perfect elephant to help me tell the story! (he even has wrinkles!) I really enjoyed sharing this with the children today! The story has a great moral about being beautiful just the way you are. It opened up dialog about beauty and the beauty that God made in each of us (which has been on my heart for quite some time)


I am so excited about home schooling this year, (can I say it enough?!) I have been reading up on different methods and ideas and I just feel overwhelmed and honored that these little souls have been entrusted to me to teach, train and comfort. I have a very holistic approach to homeschooling, I want it to feel organic, natural, simple and almost old fashioned. I want to teach the mind and the heart. I want to teach them to see God in the stories from scripture but also in the beauty of creation that he has given us. I want to teach them to quiet themselves to breathe and to enjoy the peace and presence of Christ. I want to teach them the domestic arts, seeing through the eyes of love, and guard their precious innocence and purity.

I have been going through the house and simplifying toys and trying my best to create a peaceful simple space for all of us. I envision myself almost like a mother bird working on her nest, I want to create just the right space to raise my little ones. I am mainly focusing on simplifying and trying to add a personal hand made feel to things instead of decorating and beautifying with things that cost money... there will be a time for that (believe me I have ideas!) right now I am trying to use the resources we already have. Allow my heart to be contend with the simple.


We are going on lots of nature walk gathering things to bring home and examine, acorns, feathers, wildflowers and wild fruit, leaves, grasses, sticks and rocks! Seeing the wonder and fascination in their eyes melts me and now they are coming up to me telling me all about the wonderful and special things that God made for us to enjoy! ( Elisha just shared with me yesterday how God made puppy and bear noses! We get to smell because of God!) Not every day is a dream come true, there are moments of chaos and learning to share and get along with each other, but over all its going great and I feel so happy and in love with each of my precious priceless sweet hearts!

 

I will leave you a verse thats been on my heart::

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing?

Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' ...your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness,and all these things will be added to you."

Matt 6:25-33

{ Teach me to have a heart like yours Lord! }

1 comment: